Seniors are one of the fast-growing segments of the population in this country. As more and more baby boomers retire and decide to transition into independent living or a senior community, they have different expectations than previous generations did. One of these expectations involves their overall wellness. While you may think of it as a buzzword, wellness for seniors is vital. Making the transition to senior independent living at Southfield in Plainfield, IN, is a major change. Wellness isn’t just something that happens. Instead, it is an active process that the best senior communities like Southfield encourage through programs and amenities. We understand that wellness for seniors means making healthy choices and pursuing your desires in this stage of living.
The Difference Between Health and Wellness
It may be easy to conflate health and wellness. Often, we use the terms together or synonymously. But they are different. “Health” is a term encompassing an individual’s physical, mental, and social well-being. It’s how you feel in your body and mind, as well as how positive these aspects of your being and your social interactions are. Wellness for seniors, on the other hand, is about an individual’s quality of living and their lifestyle.
When we talk about health, we are usually referring to specific things. For instance, how do you address or reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, hypertension, type-2 diabetes, osteoporosis, or obesity? These are all very common illnesses in seniors. In other words, health is about practicality. However, wellness is more about building up the conditions to prevent illness and to be able to live an active, balanced life. Combined with healthy activities like the exercise programs offered at Southfield, which decrease the risk of falls and fall-related injuries, wellness is the quality of interactions with others. Here at Southfield, our senior independent community is close-knit and active. We make sure you have all your needs met but then go the extra mile to make sure you’re enjoying your days.
What Wellness for Seniors Looks Like
Wellness is about more than amenities. It’s about comfort and feeling as though you belong. At Southfield, we strive to create a setting where you feel at ease, in control, cared for, and engaged with your neighbors.
There are traditionally six dimensions of wellness:
- Physical: This is the need for regular physical activity and development. This dimension easily segues into healthy activities like exercise and improved diet and nutrition.
- Emotional: As an active senior, it’s vital to attend to your feelings and emotions. Part of that involves building new relationships.
- Spiritual: No matter what you believe or your faith, having a spiritual connection gives meaning and purpose. Exploring your spirituality or practicing it adds value to your life and improves overall well-being.
- Intellectual: We never stop learning. Being creative and mentally active go hand-in-hand with being healthy physically. Southfield makes sure residents have access to all they need to mentally active.
- Occupational: For many of us, our identities and motivations revolve around our work, career, or jobs. Transition to senior independent living means finding new ways to enrich your life through new work, for example, by learning new skills or teaching others.
- Social: Being a part of a community means you support and encourage others while receiving the same. It’s a way for us all not only to avoid feeling alone but also to feel a part of a community or world that cares for everyone in it.
Senior Living at Southfield
Senior independent living means becoming part of just such a community. When you come to Southfield in Plainfield, IN, you’ll find active peers and friendly neighbors eager to get to know you. The sense of home you’ll find at Southfield is second to none. Since we offer extensive health and wellness for seniors throughout all our amenities, it’s easy to stay active and pursue your interests.
Whether it’s organizing a group outing, having close or extended family come to visit, or socializing with one’s neighbors, senior independent living means choices. Thus, we offer several services to our residents to make their lives that much easier. For example, we provide:
Thanks to our services and amenities, each resident has the everyday burdens and chores lifted from their shoulders. Thus, they can pursue whatever path they choose to fill their days. Reach out today at 855.947.3838 to learn more about what we have to offer you and your family.