It’s not uncommon for adult children to ask themselves, ‘Is my parent ready for independent living?’ As parents age, their needs and desires change as well. However, any transition in living arrangements can be a challenge and may even feel as though there’s a loss of freedom. Nothing could be farther from the truth at Southfield. Our facility is an independent senior living community. Southfield is about making life easier for residents so they can pursue their interests, explore new hobbies, and make new friends. We do this by providing senior living services that give residents the freedom they need from household chores, maintenance, and other concerns so they can focus on themselves in their new stage of living.
What Is Independent Living?
As people age, they often look into relocating. It’s honest and appropriate to acknowledge the limitations that come with aging. However, most seniors are still very active and prize their independence. This is where an independent living community comes in to help. Communities like Southfield are designed for individuals who are 55+ and looking to make the transition into retirement living. Senior independent living provides residents with neighbors their age with similar active lifestyles. We provide a secure environment that can provide support services as individuals develop the need while always offering amenities allowing individuals to pursue their interests and live their best life in retirement.
But as you looking into finding the right independent living community for your parent, you should find out if your senior parent is a good candidate for independent living. So the best way to answer ‘Is my parent ready for independent living?’ is by asking them and starting the conversation.
Is My Parent Ready For Independent Living?
Before you even start the conversation with your parent or parents, write down your concerns. Know what it is you expect out of senior independent living so you can listen and compare. Also, do some research on options available, so you’re ready as the conversation progresses. Here are some issues to help guide you through the discussion with your parent or parents:
- You don’t have to do it all at once. This can be a multi-part conversation as you all explore options together.
- Start with a general discussion of what their life is like currently. Do they have any physical issues currently at their home? Could that be resolved at a community like Southfield that provides round the clock assistance?
- Try to do as much of this sort of communication in person so you can pick up on body language and other nonverbal clues about how your loved one is feeling.
- Be empathetic and try to understand how difficult these conversations can be.
- Ask if your loved one feels lonely. One of the biggest upsides to moving into senior independent living is the increase in social opportunities.
- Ask if your loved one wants help with housekeeping, laundry, running errands, or other daily chores. These are the regular senior living services communities like Southfield offer residents.
Become Part Of The Southfield Community
When your senior parent comes to Southfield, they’ll find a vibrant and active community. We offer numerous services to make the lives of residents easier. For instance, we provide the following in conjunction with access to any health services residents may develop:
- Activities: We plan daily activities and regularly scheduled events to make every day unique. Interactive engagement opportunities with the team and your fellow residents not only keep your mind sharp but also fosters good health.
- Transportation: Scheduled and available on-demand transportation to all the places necessary for you to stay well-provisioned and plugged in is provided. You won’t be cut off or have to worry about not being able to get out and see what you want. We make it a point to provide you with the mobility you need and desire.
- Health and Wellness: Our modern fitness facility has just the right space and equipment. Residents can make sure their body stays loose and healthy. More and more seniors have an active spirit. Thus, we make sure you have the resources.
- Dining Services: Our dining team produces three meals per day prepared from scratch. These taste great and are good for your health. Sharing a meal is more than just healthy eating; it’s about enjoying the company of friends and neighbors. We make dining a positive community experience.
- Housekeeping: Regular and as-requested help in maintaining your residence like a home. We are always ready to get your space prepared for visitors as well as keep your day-to-day needs met.
So reach out to us at 855.947.3838 to learn more and explore our facility.