Once you have entered into your retirement years, you may want to kick back and relax. Letting go of some of your usual responsibilities can be freeing, driving included. When you choose to enjoy your retirement in an independent living community like Southfield’s, you’ll have access to transportation services that can take care of the driving for you.
At Southfield, we realize that some seniors may worry about losing their independence if they can no longer drive or do not feel comfortable driving. While we offer plenty of activities conveniently on-site in our independent living community, we know that our residents may also enjoy venturing out from time to time. Our transportation services provide a sense of independence and freedom to explore new venues. Find out how you can maintain your independence by calling 855.947.3838 or using our online form.
The Importance of Senior Transportation Services
Some people continue to drive throughout their senior years, but there comes a time when you may need to turn in the car keys. This should not mean that you are stuck at home most days or that you have to scramble to find a ride from friends or family to make a quick trip to the store.
Having to ask others for a ride every time you want to leave your home can be frustrating and take away your sense of independence. That is where senior transportation services come into play. These services are designed to give retirees more freedom to get around without moving to an assisted living facility to have all their needs met.
Some of the health benefits of having convenient access to senior transportation include:
- Improved quality of life
- Improved mood
- Stronger connection to friends and family
- Support for overall health
Lack of transportation may also cause seniors to become sedentary and isolated, leading to physical and mental impediments. To help maintain your independence and overall well-being, feel free to take advantage of any transportation services available to you.
Senior Transportation Options
If you are interested in finding some alternatives to driving or trying to find friends or family to give you a ride, here are some options for senior transportation:
- Transportation offered by your retirement community – One of the most convenient options for senior transportation will be those offered by your independent living community. They may provide transportation to group outings, shopping trips, or doctor appointments. Check with your senior living community to find out about the availability of transportation services.
- County public transportation services – Check with your county’s Area Agency on Aging to find out if they offer senior transportation. Many counties provide free or low-cost transportation for seniors that differ from traditional public transportation. These ride services can take seniors directly where they need to go, whether for a doctor’s appointment or a pharmacy trip.
- Ride-hailing apps – Services like Uber and Lyft are not the most cost-effective transportation option, but they do offer maximum convenience since you can order a ride right from your smartphone at any time of day or night. At Southfield, we are more than willing to arrange pick-up and drop-off services for our residents.
Southfield’s Transportation Services Help Independent Seniors Get Where They Need to Go
Happiness in retirement is closely correlated with your quality of life. When you have conveniently available transportation services, you can maintain your freedom to go out and about, helping prevent feelings of isolation. Seniors who can remain independent tend to be more satisfied with retirement living.
At Southfield, we recognize the importance of convenient transportation options for seniors. Our residents enjoy our transportation services provider’s freedom to help them get out and enjoy a change of scenery. To learn more about our transportation services, call us today at 855.947.3838 or use the online contact form.