Thanksgiving is a wonderful time of year. It is a holiday that sees friends and family come together to be grateful for what they have and share their time and resources with others. At Southfield, our community loves the holidays. Not only do we host events and activities, but we also make our community inviting and comfortable for visitors, so everyone has a wonderful time.
Thanksgiving in Senior Living
In senior living, residents can still host a family gathering like they did before moving into our community at Southfield. We have ample space for residents to host events and gatherings. Our dining services are eager to help organize and prepare the meal for this holiday. Loved ones, friends, and family are encouraged to come to tour our community. During Thanksgiving, many of our residents host family and friends in their homes. It’s an excellent way to get to know the community. Visitors can bring with them any food or dishes the care to share.
Of course, not everyone can make the journey to meet during Thanksgiving. Distance, work, and a myriad of other commitments can make it a challenge. Fortunately, technology lets us overcome great distances and scheduling conflicts. If you can’t make it to visit your family or aren’t able to come for a holiday, consider a virtual celebration. Using online video streaming, you can see and talk with your loved ones. Many families arrange games and even movies or sports watching together. Also, leading up to this holiday, it may be fun to work alongside your neighbors to create a care package for your family. You can fill it with handmade crafts, Fall flavored and scented items, holiday decorations, and more.
Other Ways to Enjoy the Holiday
Of course, the meal is the centerpiece of most Thanksgiving celebrations. But it is often simply the excuse to bring the family together. At Southfield, we offer numerous activities for residents to enjoy alongside their family during this holiday. Making the holiday an intergenerational experience is one way to get the most out of the celebration. Going through family photo albums and having memory-sparking conversations is a great way for families to connect. Younger family members can show residents digital photos and art, so they stay connected.
Celebrating Thanksgiving in senior living is also a great opportunity to start new traditions. Perhaps it’s time for a family member to learn the traditional way of cooking a particular dish. Sharing a recipe can bring generations together. Similarly, making decorations like wreaths, garlands, and sending letters of thanks to friends and family cannot be in attendance is a great way for everyone to stay connected and involved.
Getting the Most Out of Thanksgiving at Southfield
Enjoying Thanksgiving at Southfield can be a joy for the whole family. Our comprehensive services ensure residents get the most out of senior living and can accommodate guests like friends and family. Some of our services include:
- Activities: Our activities director plans events and outings year-round. The holidays can be a special time, so here at Southfield, we make sure to arrange seasonal activities for residents.
- Transportation: During the holiday season, getting around can be a challenge. Fortunately, whether it’s to join the family during Thanksgiving or attend worship, we can arrange scheduled transportation and on-demand transportation for all our residents.
- Health and wellness: In our contemporary fitness center, residents will find all the equipment and classes they desire to stay healthy.
- Dining services: We provide three high-end, restaurant-style meals per day. During Thanksgiving, we’d love to hear from our residents and incorporate their favorite dishes into our community meals.
- Housekeeping: Regular and as-requested help maintain your residence like a home, prepare for visitors, or keep your day-to-day needs met.