At Southfield, we understand independent living means downsizing for many families. Once you’ve decided to transition to senior independent living, you need to start making choices about what you want to bring with and what you can bring with you as you move. It can be a daunting task. Ask for help, commit yourself to the process, and embrace the future life you’ll have part of an active community like Southfield’s.
Tips for Downsizing
It can be emotional going through your belongings with the intention of getting rid of many things. You’ve spent a lifetime collecting memories and building a life. However, many of the things you are are just that, things–objects that are just functional, they’re designed to be replaced. Many families find going through the downsizing process to be cathartic and even enjoyable. One way to make it so is to involve the whole family in the process. Make downsizing an activity where family members and friends can reminisce as you do the necessary work of decluttering and streamlining your life in retirement.
Here are some further tips to help you in downsizing for retirement:
- Embrace your feeling. Whatever emotions you are having as you sort through your belongings, let them come up. It’s always healthier when you are honest with yourself instead of bottling up feelings.
- Be practical. Downsizing to make the transition to independent living doesn’t need to be something done all at once. A smart way to make the transition is to downsize room-by-room until you have all you need for your new home.
- Don’t think of the process as getting rid of or losing things. Instead, focus on how you are selecting those things you most love, and you’ll most need in the next stage of your life.
- Think about what the senior living home and community you’ll be joining will be providing you and use that to guide your decision-making. Will you need the expense of your car? If your meals are provided, then do you need all of your kitchen items? If you’ll no longer have a yard or if lawncare is taken care of for you, then much of what’s in your garage can go.
Where To Send Your Downsized Possessions
Once you’ve decided what can go, you’ll need to decide where it can go. It’s very unlikely you’ll just be throwing out your possessions. So take the time to decide what items you’d like to go where. For example, what of your downsized possessions would you like to give to your children, grandchildren, or friends? Sometimes involving your family means they’ll take off your hands those items you no longer have use for but don’t want to see disappear from the family.
Similarly, what of your downsized possessions would make good candidates for donations to places like Goodwill or the Salvation Army? There is always someone in need, and perhaps you can fill it. Finally, there’s always an old fashioned yard sale, garage sale, or tag sale. Organize what you like to sell, set a date, and see what you can sell. Many communities hold city or town-wide yard sales, so look into participating.
Independent Living at Southfield
At Southfield, we pride ourselves on the services we provide our residents in our vibrant community. We offer numerous other services to make the lives of residents easier, such as:
- Activities: We plan daily activities and regularly scheduled events to make every day unique. Interactive engagement opportunities with the team and your fellow residents not only keep your mind sharp but also foster good health.
- Transportation: Scheduled and available on-demand transportation to all the places necessary for you to stay well-provisioned and plugged in is provided. You won’t be cut off or have to worry about not being able to get out and see what you want. We make it a point to provide you with the mobility you need and desire.
- Health and wellness: Our modern fitness facility has just the right layout and equipment. Residents can make sure their body stays loose and healthy. More and more seniors have an active spirit. Thus, we make sure you have the resources.
- Housekeeping: Our team provides regular and as-requested help in maintaining your residence like a home. We are always ready to get your space prepared for visitors in addition to keeping your day-to-day needs met.