Once someone has transitioned to independent senior living, it means that the holidays may have to be approached differently. There are always traditions, new and old, to think about. But perhaps the most important thing to consider during this time is how one is going to celebrate. Planning holiday events first requires knowing how you’d like to celebrate and what your options are in a senior living community like Southfield.
Preparing and Enjoying the Holidays in Independent Living
Even in independent living, preparing for the holidays can be stressful. However, there are plenty of options for residents and their families to get the most out of the season. For instance, individuals can:
- Attend a performance: The holiday season is filled with all sorts of performances for individuals and families to enjoy. From the pageants and plays that grandchildren put on in school to musicals and theatre, families should plan an outing. At Southfield, our transportation services can make sure residents arrive safely on time, enjoy their event, and get home safe.
- Correspondence: Christmas cards and New Year’s cards are very popular during the holiday season. It’s a way to update your friends and family about events in your life, new interests, and new goals. Take the time to write down a few thoughts. You can create a general letter and holiday card that goes out to all your friends and family or take the time to write unique messages. It’s also nice to display the cards one gets during this time and include updated pictures.
- Holiday Meals: Dining with friends and family is often the core of many celebrations during the holiday season. At Southfield, we can help residents plan their Thanksgiving meal contributions or event if they are hosting visitors. We can do the same for any Christmas meals or New Year’s events.
Other Ways to Enjoy the Holidays in a Senior Living Community
At Southfield, we encourage all residents to host families. Our community is a home where all are welcome. There are numerous ways friends and family can enjoy the holidays with residents. Perhaps one of the easiest is decorating. Residents enjoy company and companionship in decorating their home for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Year. Decorating a room together or decorating common areas is a great way to prepare for the holidays.
Some residents have family and friends who live far away or just can’t make the trip to Southfield for the holidays. Fortunately, technology can bring people together. Residents and families can arrange video chats in both the privacy of their home and in our shared areas should residents want to give a ‘tour.’
Finally, at Southfield, we see ourselves as a close-knit community. So we make it a point to have our activity services provide several holiday-themed events residents can participate in if they so choose. For example, we offer holiday-themed movies as well as caroling and off-campus events. For both Thanksgiving and Christmas, residents can enjoy special holiday meals.
The Holidays and More at Southfield
Preparing for the holidays is a joyful time at Southfield. Our residents can take advantage of some of the best senior living services available:
- Activities: We plan events not just for the holidays but regularly throughout the year, helping residents stay connected with their neighbors.
- Transportation: We provide regularly scheduled transportation and on-demand transportation to all our residents.
- Health and wellness: In our contemporary fitness center, residents will find all the equipment and classes they desire to stay healthy.
- Dining services: We provide three high-end, restaurant-style meals per day.
- Housekeeping: Regular and as-requested help maintain your residence like a home, prepare for visitors, or keep your day-to-day needs met.